Monday, September 8, 2014

Shrimps | Curry | Rice

Time for a new recipe. I made this curry last week for my brother's birthday, 20 hurray! He liked it, so mission accomplished, time to share the recipe with you. I used homemade currypaste (see below), the smell alone is worth the effort. Making the paste is pretty straight forward. Slice the ginger up roughly, put all ingredients in a mortar and grind until you have a paste.

Boil the jasmin rice according to the package. Although the instruction on a pack of thai rice says to use 2 parts of water for 1 part of rice, I prefer to cook the rice in plenty of water, to keep it from getting supersticky..

Put a wok pan on the stove and heat up some vegetable oil. Fry the shrimps until slightly colored then add the curry paste and fry for 1 more minute. Cut the sugar snaps in 1cm wide slices. Add the coconut milk, lime leaves and the sliced sugar snaps. Let simmer on a low heat for a couple more minutes. Add the bean sprouts 1 minute before serving. Finish off the curry with the juice of 1/2 lime and salt or fish sauce to taste (Normally I prefer fish sauce, but my brother hates it, so this one was made with salt). Serve with jasmin rice.

Forgive me for the sloppy picture (lots of curry sauce spilled on the rice, I guess I was too hungry :) )

Enjoy

Curry paste:
3cm ginger
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbs chili flakes
1 tbs turmeric
1 tbs black peppercorns
1 tbs fennel seeds

Other ingredients:
1 small glass of thai jasmin rice per person
7-10 shrimps per person (depending on their size)
200ml coconut milk
150g sugar snaps
150g bean sprouts
2 lime leaves (I used frozen ones)
salt or fishsauce

No comments:

Post a Comment